An interesting piece by Judith Warner titled ‘Why American Kids are Brats”. Warner reflects on Pamela Druckerman’s new book, “Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting” and her own experiences as a mother who started raising children in France and then moved to the US. Warner notices that French parents regularly insist that children say “please”, “thank-you” and generally engage in social niceties. They do this, she argues, because it is a way for them to learn that they are not the only ones with feelings and needs that matter. She compares this with American parents who teach, through action that “their children’s wants and needs come first, no matter what”. As a teacher I see this manifest all the time. Just because I teach north of the 49th doesn’t make me immune to self-indulgent students who are rude to others or helicopter parents who don’t understand why their child’s needs aren’t always the #1 priority in the classroom. My friends and family exhaust themselves chauffeuring children to activities and surrendering their lives. That experience is a million miles from my own childhood in the north of England. I remember my Dad coming to my sporting activities once, and I was embarrassed when he did. I asked him not to come back and he didn’t. That was my stuff and not his. Last summer I walked by a youth soccer game of 5 year olds and was amazed at the crowd. I counted and estimated that there were more than 3 adults per child in attendance. Crazy! Students in my class need to learn they aren’t the only ones with needs. They need to wait their turn, listen to others and treat their peers and adults with respect, etc. It might be the only place they get this important message.
Tag Archives: manners
- My son shouldn't have to be afraid during Muslim prayers at school theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/m… #onted #PDSB 2 days ago
- RT @cherandpete: How we "prepare" our students for the #EQAO assessment matters. How are YOU preparing yours? mrcshareseaseblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/tes… #onte… 2 days ago
- Children want social media sites to protect them from pornography and cyber bullying telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/2… 3 days ago
- Amazon Wants to Put a Camera and Microphone in Your Bedroom motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/… 3 days ago
- Fantastic student voice on use of phones in class. Great work by @teachmrj & @allison_fuisz. cc @JCasaTodd… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
Tag, You’re IT!!
ADHD ARC Process assesment Captain Underpants Chris Hardwick collaboration Dav Pilkey Digital Citizenship Douglas Adams Education EQAO failure France frustration g2echat George Clayton Gerry Dee Gladwell Graphic Novels humour iBooks innovation internet introverts iPads James McCroskey Jeremy Lin Jesse Brown John Holt John Lithgow John Taylor Gatto Judd Apatow Laptops Learning Skills Learning Spaces Literacy manners Marshall McLuhan Martha Payne Media Literacy Mindset List Ministry of Education Mr. D. Neil Postman Nerdist Nicholas Negroponte non-industrial thinking Ontario Parenting Paypert Peter Skillen PLN point of view Poverty pre-service Problems Professional Development Purpose of School quotes report cards schools Seth Godin soccer social media Society Stop Stealing Dreams students summer Susan Cain teaching technology testing Thunder Bay TV Twitter
- 72,893 hits